Tuesday, January 24, 2012

First Time(s)

You'd think by the time you marry a person, you'd know 'em pretty well. But in just the past week alone, I've learned and experienced A LOT about and with my dear Matt:

1) He can dance.
Wellllll....he does dance. Our first dance and maybe once a drunken-polka with me is about all I've ever seen out of him. Until last weekend visiting a friend in Iowa City. I don't think in four hours that he left the dance floor even once! He found and befriended some cougars after I was too embarassed to continue dancing with him and they just ate him up. He must have commented 800 times when he finally did leave the dance floor, "ya know, I think I made those ladies' night-heck, maybe week. I mean, dancing with me, giving them all that attention, must have been great for them." I guess my confidence is rubbing off on him.

2) He's a tough negotiator.
It's widely known that I'm the decision maker, and usually the vocal, opinionated one between us. Except for on the day we bought our new car two weeks ago. I even joked with the salesman at several different points that there was no way we were leaving with a car today because again, Matt moves very slowly, especially when it comes to a big decision like this would be. But as soon as he saw my "shopping face" and could tell I'd set my little heart on that particular Equniox, a switch flipped and he was all sorts of decisive -- and a little cut-throat. Matt would offer up a price point then the salesman went to go pretend check with this manager about giving us that low of a price, because of course, "they never do that," and I sat there impressed as heck with my man's wheeling and dealing. Between all the back-and-forths, the whole process took five stinking hours, making us late for his work's holiday party, but darnit, we got a pretty good deal! I made a note to self that day:  use Matt's newfound negotiating skills to my advantage more often, as they seemed to be a little more effective than my eyelash-batting as of late.

::  As a total aside to that story, this is the FIRST brand new car for either of us. And we've totally become "those" people, parking far away to avoid door dings, scared to death of putting on mileage, etc. I've even gone as far as to declare the thing a "no eat zone." I'd definitely be a better driver today had I just gotten a new car years ago, that's for sure!  ::

3) His childhood was WAY different than mine.
I say this at least once a week, but this week this is why: we were sitting on the couch after eating dinner and a commercial for some dessert came on, forcing us into believing we needed dessert. We head to the grocery store up the street to see if we can find some individual slices of cake in the bakery (since our tastes vary so much) - no luck. So we wandered over to the frozen dessert section. My eye catches a carton of "Chunky monkey" and I (obviously) light up with desire. Matt, however, is confused. He comments nonchalantly that he's NEVER HAD BEN & JERRY'S!!! Whaaaaaat?!  This is coming on the heels of finding out the previous week that he didn't know what a golden birthday was. You know what I probably did for my golden birthday? Ate Ben & Jerry's!! Told you - different upbringings. Anyway, back at the grocery store, he laments over all the different flavor options and decides on Half-Baked. I recognized the look on his face as he took his first bite - same eyes of desire and recognition of deliciousness as me. All was well in the world again; we weren't so different after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment