Monday, June 22, 2015

A case of the Mondays



Today has been a rough day.  First, I didn’t wake up to my alarm. More accurately, I apparently didn’t set my alarm, but that’s just semantics at this point. I have a toddler so an alarm clock is a moot point. But still – didn’t wake up early like I’d hoped to throw in laundry and get some things done. Then, when I did wake up, feed and let the dog out, he seemed to have come back inside with a SMELL.  If you’d have been in our house this morning, you’d agree that ALL CAPS IS NECESSARY. So my mind immediately went to “omg – he was skunked.” So I fall into that Google rabbit hole – HARD.  Matt didn’t seem to think that was the case, he figured he rolled in some of his own poo. Agree to to disagree.  We nonetheless had to give him an impromptu bath today in the backyard. Nevermind the fact that I just paid almost $100 just last week to have him bathed and groomed.

After Matt went to work and consulted some “country folks,” we don’t believe the skunking to be the case. I googled until I could google no more, and still, I actually have no idea what the h-e-double hockey sticks (again, toddler) our crazy dog got into.

Then, during my meal prep time before work (I try to get as much of the chopping and prep work done days or at least hours before dinner if possible), I got freakin’ jalapeno juice in my eye!!!

THEN, over my lunch break I then went to work off some steam at a Kosama class and long story short, somehow hit myself super hard with my own kettlebell.  Don’t try that at home, folks.

But what you should try is this: First, a deep breath:)  Second, a step back for some perspective.  As I’m cursing myself, I do realize I have no one to blame but myself, but then again, why blame.  To get through the rest of the workout, my mind was taken back to a motivational speaker I once saw whose ‘jist’ was this:

If you are angry at someone or something, you give that person or event power of your life.  Usually they don't even know it - what a waste!   (I probably waste so much time each week being upset by things and people who have no idea that’s the case!)

There is no place in life without a CHOICE:  do I get up now, or snooze for 5 more minutes, what should I wear today, am I going to text while driving on the way to work, etc, etc.  The thing is, you may not always like the choice(s) you have in front of you.  But there is always, ALWAYS A CHOICE in every situation. And the awesome thing is that YOU HAVE POWER OVER THOSE CHOICES. YOU are in charge.  Again, you may not always agree with the circumstance you're in (ie -"it's not my fault I'm homeless" or that my day totally stinks – literally and figuratively) but you can always accept those circumstances and CHOOSE to believe you'll get through it.  So basically, instead of asking "WHY ME?!" that something is happening to, CHOOSE to ask yourself "WHAT FOR?"   Sometimes less than ideal things happen so you learn lessons you couldn't possibly have under any different circumstances, but again, you have to CHOOSE to see it that way.  I'm choosing to see today

Again, these are lessons I learned from Reon Schutte  (sp??) – he was imprisoned in South Africa if I remember correctly. And imprisoned in a cell built for 12 people, but that housed 50. It's actually been declared one of the worst prisons in the entire world by the UN and other organizations.

Hey, if he can survive that, the power of the mind - the power of choice, is a pretty big deal.  Just throwing it out there in case any of you are experiencing or ever experience a case of the “Mondays.” Today is a bad good day.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment